Many Volunteer positions are available through the Anne Arundel County Volunteer Center. If you do not see an opportunity below that fits your needs, contact the Volunteer Center at firstname.lastname@example.org or 410-897-9207. Check our Website: www.aacvc.org. A few current volunteer opportunities are listed below.
Annapolis High School, Mock Interviews, May 4 & 5, 2015
Volunteers are needed from 7:30 – 2:00pm (for approximately 1-hour time slots) on May 4th and 5th to conduct Mock Interviews and provide students with verbal and written feedback on both their resume and interview. Volunteer for a shift or two or stay the whole day. Sample questions and an evaluation sheet for the Mock Interviews will be provided prior to the event. For more information, contact Eric Elston, Signature Program Facilitator, at EELSTON@aaacps.org or call 202-409-0745.
Annapolis Recreation & Parks 9th Annual Truxtun Youth Triathlon, Sun., June 21
Volunteers are being sought to help with managing the event on race day in a variety of positions. Setup starts at 6:00 a.m. and the race starts at 8:00 am on Sunday, Jun. 21, 2015 at Truxtun Park in Annapolis. Youth, ages 7–17 will challenge themselves in this Swim, Bike, & Run event at Truxton Park. SWIM in the Truxton Park Pool; BIKE through City parks and adjoining roads; RUN through Truxtun’s trails. All participants will receive a medal for completing the race. Trophies will be awarded to the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place finisher in each age group. The Truxtun Youth Triathlon is part of the Maryland youth Triathlon Series. Participants go to http://www.annapolis.gov/recreation to register. Contact Jennifer Jennings at 410-263-7958 or email@example.com for more information and to volunteer.
Anne Arundel County Department of Recreation and Parks
Anne Arundel County Department of Recreation and Parks is accepting applications for youth who have completed 6th grade up to 16 years old. Apply for one of the unique Youth Summer Volunteer Programs. There are three programs to choose from; be a Volunteer Summer Serve and learn leadership skills, participate in team building activities and support the inclusive-adaptive Mayo Beach Day Camp where you will forge ever lasting friendships and learn how compassion can empower people. Apply to be a Counselor in Training (CIT) support Recreation and Parks staff in one of several Summer Fun Center locations throughout the County. This program is perfect for those youth that show initiative and are self-starters. Are you interested in spending your time outdoors? Apply for the Youth Conservation Corps at Lake Waterford Park. This environmentally focused camp will offer an opportunity for youth to learn about park conservation, travel to regional county park locations for service projects and will receive enrichment programs from the National Park Service and the Magothy River Association. Applications are due by 4:30 pm May 8th. Apply now…space is limited! Contact: Ryan Stewart firstname.lastname@example.org or call 410-222-7313 x3554. Also see website: www.aacounty.org/RecParks/volunteer/index.cfm.
Brock Bridge Elementary School: Career Day, Friday April 24, 2015
Parents are invited to come and talk to one or two classes about their careers. With your help we can give the students of Brock Bridge an opportunity to learn about your wonderful occupations and to get them thinking about their future goals. If you are interested in speaking on Career Day, contact John Panitz at email@example.com or 410-266-3394 to schedule a 20-30 minute time slot between the hours of 9am-2:30 pm.
Chesapeake Bay Foundation
The Chesapeake Bay Foundation is the largest conservation organization dedicated solely to saving the Chesapeake Bay. A wide variety of volunteer opportunities are available throughout the year involving Hands On Restoration projects, Outreach and Education, and Advocacy. See web site www.cbf.org for upcoming projects and opportunities. Also, call (410) 268-8816 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. The office is located at 6 Herndon Avenue, Annapolis, MD 21403. A volunteer application form can be submitted from the web site, www.cbf.org. Volunteers are needed for the following upcoming events:
- 9 am–1 pm, Sat., May 30 and Sat., Jun. 13, 2015, Wetland Restoration in the Severn River Watershed:This planting will be at the Naval Academy dairy farm, Sunrise Farm. The planting area drains into the Jabez Branch and Severn River before emptying into the Chesapeake Bay. Contact David Tana at MDRestoration@cbf.org and for more info. http://www.cbf.org/events/other/md/restoration-events.
Mothers Against Drunk Driving, Maryland
WALK LIKE MADD is your chance to do something about drunk driving in our community. This year, thousands of people in over 60 cities around the nation will participate in 5k events to eliminate drunk driving from our roadways. You can help MADD eliminate drunk driving by signing up for a Walk Like MADD event near you as a walker, team captain, or volunteer. Upcoming local event needing volunteers:
- 8:30am – Noon, Sat., May 9, 2015, Baltimore Walk Like MADD: Please join us Saturday, May 9, 2015 at Canton Waterfront Park, 3001 Boston St., Baltimore, MD 21224 as we walk and honor those who no longer can, and alongside those who are learning to walk again. Funds raised go toward MADD victim services, which are at no cost to victims. Go to walklikemadd.org/baltimore and click on REGISTER. For those that cannot attend the event, but still want to support the community and save lives, go to the same web site and click on DONATE. For more information contact: Lisa M. Spicknall, State Program Director, MADD Maryland, at email@example.com.
National Aquarium Chesapeake Bay Initiative Habitat Restoration Projects
The ten-acre tidal wetland bordering Fort McHenry National Monument and Historic Shrine now serves as a refuge for many species of wildlife including sea ducks, heron, muskrats, and red-winged blackbirds. Join the Conservation Department at the National Aquarium in Baltimore at Fort McHenry National Monument and Historic Shrine to help clean up the bay. The National Aquarium in Baltimore is looking for community volunteers, ages 14 and older, to participate, rain or shine. Activities include debris cleanup, planting native marsh grasses, trail maintenance and more. Register online at www.aqua.org or contact the Conservation Dept. at 410-576-1014 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Upcoming projects (Volunteers must be at least 10 years old. Volunteers under 18 years old will need adult supervision. Pre-registration is required for all conservation events):
- 9:00 AM – 2:00 PM, Fri., May 29, 2015, Wetland Planting at Masonville Cove: Join the Aquarium Conservation Team (ACT!) to plant wetland grasses on the shoreline at Masonville Cove.
- 9:30 AM – 3:00 PM Tues., June 9, 2015, Poplar Island Wetland Restoration: Join the Aquarium Conservation Team (ACT!) and plant wetland grasses to restore Poplar Island! This Chesapeake Bay island was plagued by severe erosion. With the beneficial use of dredge material, the island is being built back to its original footprint and once again provides valuable habitat for Bay wildlife.
SPCA of Anne Arundel County
Volunteers, age 18 and up (or 13-17 with parental accompaniment), are needed to walk dogs, socialize cats, provide foster care for “in-need” animals, help with adoption shows, bathe and brush dogs or help with any other available opportunities. Training sessions are held once each month. The SPCA does not offer opportunities to fulfill court-ordered community service. Call 410-268-4388 or E-mail email@example.com or visit www.aacspca.org.
- 8:00 am–1:00 pm, Sun., May 3, 2015, 24nd Annual “Walk & Run for the Animals”: Volunteers are needed to help in a variety of roles for this fundraiser being held at Quiet Waters Park in Annapolis. The festivities include scenic trails, fun-filled doggie activities, 3rd annual Cars & Critters car show, face painting for the kids, a Food Bowl for your culinary delights and array of vendor booths. For more information call 410-268-4388, E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org, or visit www.aacspca.org.