Many Volunteer positions are available through the Volunteer Center For Anne Arundel County. If you do not see an opportunity below that fits your needs, contact the Volunteer Center at email@example.com or 410-897-9207. Check our Website: www.VolunteerAnneArundel.org. A few current volunteer opportunities are listed below.
Annapolis Book Festival, April 5, 2014
This free community event is being held on April 5, 2014 from 10:00 a.m.-4:30 p.m. at the Key School in Annapolis. Now in its twelfth year, the Annapolis Book Festival has become one of the premier community events in the region. Last year more than 3,000 people attended this free community Festival that celebrates the beauty, power, passion, and excitement of the written word. The Annapolis Book Festival brings nationally renowned authors to discuss their books and the craft of writing. The Festival also features Annapolis Town Crier Squire Frederick, children’s activities, live music, refreshments, and new and used book sales. Key School Parents–The search has begun for volunteers on Saturday, April 5–the day of the Festival. In addition, sponsors are being sought. For more information about the festival and how you can help, visit www.keyschool.org/ABFSponsor or contact Parent Programs and Special Events Director Trish Gallant at firstname.lastname@example.org or 410-263-9231, ext. 1275.
Annapolis Maritime Museum
The Museum needs volunteers on a continuing basis to maintain and expand its innovative environmental education program, conduct tours to the historic Thomas Point Shoal Lighthouse, restore wooden boats, interpret the Museum’s exhibits to the public, and help with the winter seminar series, the summer concert series, and events like the Annapolis Oyster Roast & Sock Burning in March and the Boatyard Beach Bash in September. For more information, contact the Museum’s Volunteer Coordinator, Amanda Elliot at (410) 295-0104 X or email@example.com. Check website at www.amaritime.org. Upcoming event for which additional volunteers may be needed:
- Noon to 4 p.m. Saturday March 22, 2014, Annual Annapolis Oyster Roast: This Maritime Museum fundraising gala has great food and entertainment for everyone and is held at the museum’s waterfront campus at the end of 2nd Street in Easport. The festivities include the burning of the socks – a spring tradition at the Museum – plus live music by The Oyster Boys and the Dan Haas Band! For more information or to purchase tickets, call 410-295-0104 or visit www.amaritime.org.
Anne Arundel Dept. of Recreation and Parks Rec Deeds Challenge 5K Run, March 29, 2014
7:30-11:00 am, Sat., Mar. 29, 2014, Rec Deeds Challenge 5K Run & Family Fun Walk: Recreation Deeds for Special Needs is a non-profit friends & family organization established to provide camp scholarships, adaptive equipment, training and volunteer support to people with disabilities. The Recreation Deeds Challenge 5K Run and Fun Walk fundraiser is being held at Ft. Smallwood Park in Pasadena and the race starts at 9:00 a.m. Volunteers are needed on the day of the event starting at 7:30 a.m. to assist with race support, be a course monitor, register participants and give out race bags, mark course, andtake pictures. Volunteers should arrive at 7:30 a.m. to register and get volunteer assignments. For more information, contact Nicki Fiocco at 410-222-7300 or firstname.lastname@example.org. See website: www.aacounty.org/RecParks/volunteer/index.cfm.
Anne Arundel County Dept. of Recreation & Parks
Anne Arundel Rec and Parks is announcing the following youth volunteer programs for 2014; information and application forms are available at: http://www.aacounty.org/RecParks/volunteer/youth_volunteer.cfm#.UxCSzroo5Ea, or contact Nicki Fiocco, at 410-222-7300 or email@example.com. Application deadline: May 2, 2014.
- Counselor-in-Training (CIT) Program: Youth candidate volunteers completing 8th and 9th grades are being sought for this year’s program. The CIT program is now offered for 3-two week sessions in our Summer Fun Center locations and Quiet Waters Park.
- Summer Serve Leadership Challenge 2014. The Volunteer Summer Serve Leadership Challenge 2014 (VSSLC) program is a 2-week volunteer program for youth who have completed 7th grade and are younger than 16. A total of three different 2-week sessions will be offered this summer at the Adaptive Day Camp at Mayo Beach. Participants may apply for one or more sessions to learn about and discuss various topics ranging from school year volunteer opportunities to conflict resolution strategies and social issues that they may face in today’s society. Youth who successfully complete the program may earn community service hours as well as gaining work experience that will help them prepare for employment interviews, applying for college, and other life skills.
- Youth Conservation Corps (YOUTH CORPS) 2014 Program: Youth completing 6th grade in June 2014 up to the age of 16 are welcome to apply. The program will be held daily from 9 am–3 pm for three 1-week sessions during the month of July. Volunteer experience will include park conservation and clean up at Lake Waterford Park as well as at other county facilities. This is a first come first serve program with a maximum number of participants.
Sarah’s House is a supportive housing program for homeless women, children, and men in Anne Arundel County providing case management, childcare, transportation and employment services at Ft. Meade. Volunteer orientations are offered periodically at Sarah’s House. Volunteers can work directly with guests or behind the scenes. There are a variety of volunteer opportunities for individuals, families, businesses and groups of all faiths and ages. Especially needed are volunteers for childcare while parents attend training classes and to help with tutoring children with their homework during the school year. Please RSVP to Bruce Clopein at 410-519-5085, or firstname.lastname@example.org. Visit www.cc-md.org/sarahs-house/ for volunteer opportunities and donation wish lists. Event for which additional volunteers may be needed:
- 1:00–5 p.m., Sun., April 6, 2014, Annual Family Bull & Oyster Roast: Sponsors and attendees are being sought for this fun-filled event being held at Knights of Columbus hall, 6111 Columbian Way, Bowie, MD 20715 has something for everyone. There is great all you can eat food, raffles, door prizes, silent auction, music and dancing and activities for children. This year’s event has a western theme and there will be prizes for the best Western Dressed Child and Adult. For more information, contact Sherry, at 410-551-7722 Ext 1210 or email@example.com.
U.S. Elite Track & Field
U.S. Elite provides a Track and Field Program that caters to elite and developmental athletes and a Liaison Program that mentors and helps high school student attain 100% scholarship opportunities for college. If you are interested in having fun with the team, donating items for charity and helping out, call Keishia Thorpe at 202-390-6224 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Upcoming events needing volunteers:
- 8 AM, Sat., March 29, 2014 US Elite Spring 5K Run/Walkathon: Join us on this run/walk at the Prince George’s Sports Complex in Landover, MD for all athletes, masters, joggers, and walkers. It is a Health and Wellness family event and also a USA Track and Field sanctioned 5K Run-Walk. There will be Race Prizes and free Health Giveaways. All proceeds go to local charity. Volunteers are needed and will receive 10 hours of community service. For more information contact Keishia Thorpe at 202-390-6224 or email@example.com. Register at race website http://www.uselite.org/
- 3 pm, April 12, 2014, Annual Athletic Convention: U.S. Elite’s Liaison International Scholastic Program will be hosting its Annual Convention at the Wayne K. Curry Sports and Learning Complex in Landover, Maryland. Volunteers are needed to help with the event which is being held in the Town Hall and will receive 10 hours of community service. There will be speakers from Howard University and Georgetown University. Topics include Financial Aid and Scholarships, NCAA Clearinghouse/Eligibility, College Admissions, Academic and Athletic requirements for colleges, etc. The check-in and registration period will be at 3:00 p.m. Refreshments will be provided. For more information contact Keishia Thorpe at 202-390-6224 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Register or RSVP by April 4, 2014 at http://www.uselite.org/